Excel/Reformatting numbers downloaded as text

Hi. I downloaded a large amount of data to consolidate into a spreadsheet. The practice management software would only download each month into separate Excel spreadsheets which I used cell references to consolidate financial numbers into one spreadsheet. Since I did not need the references once I built the consolidated sheet, I converted all references to values (dollars). All values were converted to numbers with an asterisk after the value. Example 4567*.  Well after a lot of frustrating attempts to use the values as numbers, I figured out that the pesky asterisk is making the value text.  I have a bunch load of number .... I would love to know if there is a way to get rid of the asterisk without going to each cell and deleting it. I've tried various formatting options but nothing seems to work. Is there a way to do this without advanced programming knowledge?

Thank you for the help.

Almost any other character would have been easy, but the asterisk is a wild card - so doing a search and replace doesn't work as it simply replaces everything in the document.

IF the data is all in one column, you can use data, text to columns to split the column into two columns, splitting by the asterisk - you can then delete the column with the asterisks in it.  Otherwise, if you can save as text, open it in notepad you could then do a replace for asterisk with nothing and resave.  Finally, a macro could do it - it isn't too difficult:

Sub fix_asterisk()
For Each cl In Range("A1:a10") 'replace this with the actual range you want to check
If Right(cl.Value, 1) = "*" Then cl.Value = Left(cl.Value, Len(cl.Value) - 1)
End Sub
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!