Excel/SORTING DATA FROM ONE SHEET TO ANOTHER

Question

So I am trying to construct a list of ship cargoes that I see across different sectors of the world in different sizes. I have one main information sheet with various codes on it. For example an "oil" has code "a" and a "coal" cargo has code "p" in column A. If the cargo is in the Mediterranean then it has code "M" in column G, if it is from West Africa it has "W." Ideally what I would like is for the the data to sort itself into different sheets automatically, so any time I type the affiliated letter in column A and the affiliated letter column it will copy the data onto the correct sheet. for example if I have an oil cargo (type of vessel) in the Mediterranean, I type A into Column A and M into Column G to whole row will copy itself into the Aframax Med sheet in the workbook. I hope my question is clear... Any help would be gratefully received.

Answer
I'm never overly keen on solutions which duplicate data (in your case, the use of an autofilter would work the same as having seperate sheets) BUT it is perfectly possible.  There are two methods - one uses formulas and is what I've tended to refer to as an array filter - see http://www.aidanheritage.byethost3.com/excel/ArrayFilter.xls for an example - this would have to have formulas pre-filled, but would display the values from matching rows.  My example is kept pretty untidy so it's (hopefully) easier to see how the formula works. The alternative would be to use VBA which after entry to a given row would copy the data to another sheet - I'm happy to look into this for you if it helps - my direct email is support@flameenterprises.co.uk (it may be helpful to see a sample file!)
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage