Excel/Help with excel index

Hi Jan,

I need help with a plan.

The image attached is with the explanation of my doubt.

Just to a better compreension of my plan.

It works in this way, some values that is inputed in column K need to respect a hierarchy os levels.

If the Level (column I) is 2 the value of cell H just can be P1, if the level is 3 the value in cell H just can be P2 or R1 and the others levels is related in the image.

Now, using the line between 20 and 27 in picture 2 of the attached image.

In line 27 we can see that level is 6 and value R4 so up this cell just can be 2 possibilitys or another cell R4 or cell with up level and thats is the case showed in picture. The uper cell is a higher level (5) so this only can be a value P, in case of level 5 P4.

So basically, if one cell is category "R" the first higher level only can be a "P" value.

I dont know if my explanation was good, but i think that looking for the image you can understood better.

But i think if you understood my question must be very simple.

Thank you very much.

The pictures that come through on AllExperts are virtually impossible to make sense of - possibly my age! - I'm sure the question should be possible to answer - would it be possible to see a sample file - my email is - question found in question pool as original expert was unable or unwilling to answer.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!