Excel/if statement

Question
Hi Tom

I want to build the following if statement in Cell X2 of my worksheet:

If the number in Cell M2 occurs anywhere in Column C, put the text "Loop - Ignore" in cell X2.

I cannot work out how to tell it to look in the whole of column C, can you help?

Thanks

Gail

Answer
Gail,

You can use countif to look in the whole of column C

X2:  =if(countif(C:C,M2)>0,"Loop - Ignore","")

Now countif is more a string oriented function but it will work with numbers.   If you had  say 4.000001  in column C and is was displaying as 4  and in M2 ou had the number 4, then that test would fail.  But it would work if just the number 4 appeared in column C.

Try that and see if it works for your situation.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy