Excel/Excel Help

Question
I was wondering if there is a formula that will allow me to type in a number and have it equal another (1=19)? I would like to be able to type the number 1 and have the number 19 appear in a designated cell.

Answer
Weyrann Austin,

If I wanted to type a 1 in cell A1 and have the number 19 appear in cell F37 as an example, I could have a formula in F37 like this

F37: =if(A1=1,19,0)

If you wanted to handle all the single digit numbers with some equivalency you could possibly do something with the choose function

F37: =if(And(A1>=1,A1<=9),Choose(A1,19,22,47,3,21,33,44,26,32),"")

So if a 1 is in A1, F37 would display 19, if A1 had 2, F37 would display 22, if A1 had 9, F37 would display 32.   The first argument in Choose is an integer.  then is a list of values or expressions that will be returned corresponding to the first argument being a 1, 2, 3, etc.  Choose can hold up to 28 to return.  

Hopefully there is some information you can use here. The bottom line is that whatever cell needs to return a value based on an entry in another cell, that cell returning the value would need a formula to produce that value based on the conditions.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy