Excel/Formula Problem

Formula problem
Formula problem  
Hi Gulshan,
Iím trying to do a simple formula to work out the resultant amount of 40% discount taken off the unit price of a book and having no success.

As you can see, Iíve put in =A22*F22-G22 and I figure I should have an amount of $17.97 in the ĎAmountí column as the 40% discount is $11.98.

Can you tell me what Iím doing wrong? I tried also:

Öand they didnít work either.

Dear Lyn,

What you were missing was that you need to apply the percentage on the total value, you were trying to directly subtract the discount percentage as a value which is why it was giving wrong results.

You can use one of the below formulae to get the correct results:

1. =(A1*F1)-(A1*F1*G1)
2. =(A2*F2)*(1-G2)

Hope this helps,
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

I can answer questions related to the following topics: 1. MS Excel - Creating and Linking Formulae, Running Pivot Tables, Vlookup etc. 2. Macros / VBA - Creating Macros to do specific jobs. Importing / Exporting / Validating Data in excel through Macros.

I've been working on excel for over 10 years and on VBA macros for over 3 years now.

Bachelor of Commerce, Chartered Accountant from The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India