Excel/Formula problem

Formula problem
Formula problem  
Hi Jan,
Iím trying to do a simple formula to work out the resultant amount of 40% discount taken off the unit price of a book and having no success.

As you can see, Iíve put in =A22*F22-G22 and I figure I should have an amount of $17.97 in the ĎAmountí column as the 40% discount is $11.98.

Can you tell me what Iím doing wrong? I tried also:

Öand they didnít work either.

Hi Lyn,

The formula for calculating just the discount amount itself is

To get the amount without discount you need:

So to get the net amount you need:

=A22*F22 - A22*F22*G22

Which can be rewritten to:

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Jan Karel Pieterse

Excel and Excel/VBA questions

Excel MVP

Self employed Excel developer

Bachelor in Chemical Engineering

Microsoft MVP award since 2002

Shell, Fortis bank, ABN-AMRO bank, Morgan Stanley, ...