Hi Tom

First of all please accept my apologies for not acknowledging your response to my last question.  I have only just seen it on your message board.  It never came through to my email.  The VBA worked perfectly.

The following is a piece of code that is in a workbook that I am using.  

' Letter color constants
   Const lLETTER_FILL_ON   As Long = 255       'rgb(255,0,0)
   Const lLETTER_FILL_OFF  As Long = 16777215  'rgb(255,255,255)
   Const lLETTER_FONT_ON   As Long = 0         'rgb(0,0,0)
   Const lLETTER_FONT_OFF  As Long = 16777215  'rgb(255,255,255)

There is an eight digit number and a nine digit rgb reference.  I would like to convert a nine digit rgb reference (191,191,191) to an eight digit number.  Could explain how this is done?

Thanks in advance.

If you are working in the Visual Basic Editor, you can make the immediate window visible and then in the immediate window to

?  rgb(191,191,191)

the results will show as

If you wanted to use a function in the worksheet you could paste this in a general module.

Public Function ConvertRGB(red As Long, green As Long, blue As Long)
 ConvertRGB = RGB(red, green, blue)
End Function

then in a worksheet do

=ConvertRGB(191, 191, 191)

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.