Excel/OFFSET

Question
I have a question on an equation in a file that I inherited. I can't figure out why the equation is working in other cells, but does not seem to work in the next row down. I'm using Excel 2013.
=OFFSET(NSA!A1,MATCH(G2,NSA!B2:B111,0),COUNTA(NSA!1:1),1,1)-OFFSET(NSA!A1,MATCH(G2,NSA!B2:B111,0),COUNTA(NSA!1:1)-1,1,1)

Thank you!

Answer
Elizabeth,

Assume this formula

is the formula that works.  If you copy and paste it in the next cell down, it will appear as

=OFFSET(NSA!A2,MATCH(G3,NSA!B3:B112,0),COUNTA(NSA!2:2),1,1)-OFFSET(NSA!A2,MATCH(G3,NSA!B3:B112,0),COUNTA(NSA!2:2)-1,1,1)

so you see that all the row references would increase by 1.  

I would guess that that is not what you want and would be the reason it is not working.  You can fix references by using the $ Sign

=A1  when dragged down one row becomes  =A2
=$A$1  when dragged down one row becomes  =$A$1 - it doesn't change because the addition of the Dollar Sign ($) to the row and column reference makes them absolute and not relative.

I would guess this is your problem given the very limited information provided.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy