Excel/text or call

Question

Using excel 2003, is it possible to send a text message or phone call from excel to tell when a process is finished?

Thanks

Dave

Answer
Hi Dave,

Sending a text message from Excel is not difficult because text messages can be sent via email. This is explained in numerous places online, a good example being here.

One potential difficulty with this is that you must know the recipient's cell phone carrier (Verizon, T-mobile, etc.), so if you have a large table of cell phone numbers to send text messages to you will likely have to do some coding to do a web lookup of each recipient's carrier (the article I referenced above explains how to do this lookup) in order to form the email address to send each text message.

I'm assuming from your question that you already know how to send email from Excel. If you do need to automate the cell carrier lookup and need help with that, let me know in a followup or new question.

Damon
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Damon Ostrander