Excel querry
Excel querry  
QUESTION: Please see attached.

ANSWER: Abdul,

Since you have multiple lines, it would be a somewhat complex formula

If you want to send me the worksheet you show in your image, I can put in some formulas and sent it back to you.   twogilvy@msn.com

Tom Ogilvy

Please check your email with the same excel sheet, which you answered a few days earlier, with different scenario.

Abdul Rehman

I will take a look at the email you sent me.  

I have sent you the file.  I used a formula like this (this is an example, this pulls back the latest date for the value in X7):

which is an array formula and must be entered with Ctrl+shift+Enter rather than just enter.

this part of the formula:

determines which report to look in by using countif to find out if the code E501 (for example) in X7 is found in each table.  So a number 1, 2, 3 or 4 is returned as the first argument to the leftmost count function (1 means report-1, 2 report-2, 3 report-4 and 4 report-5).  Now arguments 2, 3, 4, and 5 to the leftmost count function each return the latest date for the code found in cell X7 for that particular report -1, -2, -4 and -5.  If a report does not contain that code, that part of the formula will return the error #N/A.  The leftmost choose function would then pick out the latest date from the highest year table giving your the answer you want.   

If you were willing to use some dummy columns to perform intermediate calculations, I could make the formulas a lot simpler but didn't want to make any assumptions.

Tom Ogilvy

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.