Excel/find cells that contain text

Hi Richard,
In A1:A100 I have long list of phone numbers.
Each cell contains a single phone number.
In many of the phone include the numbers "9191" as part of the phone numbers.
In Column B (B1:B100) I wish to indicate each time that the relevant cell in column A contains the numbers 9191 within the phone number.
A sort of conditional Vlookup.

A key to your question is whether the 9191 in your phone numbers is in a particular olace in the number or is random in the number, for example is it 727-473-9191, or maybe 01-9191684327 or 01-6843919162.  If it is the first then it is easy to use the text to columns feature and separate the number into two columns one of which contains the last four digits.  then a simple If formula can highlight the cell that contains the 9191, I.E. if(A1=9191,"yes",0).  If it is the second then the formula or formulas have to be much more complicated and I cannot create them for you at this time.

Hope the first solution is what you need.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Richard Roberts

Can assist you in most areas of Excel, have been working with it for about 15 years in many types of applications, but primarily in financial and accounting applications. I am a CPA and many client or client problems have necessitated the use of excel. I am not an expert in charting, macros, or pivot tables.

Have been working with Excel for about 20 years primarily in accounting and financial areas.

BA, Certified Public Accountant