Excel/Finding Partial Name Match in Adjoining Column

Hello Tom.  I have tried using the Vlookup, Match & Index functions to come up with a solution as well as conditional formatting but I'm not getting results I want.  I have two columns of data in a spreadsheet.  One column has more rows than the other.  What I want to do is see if any of the names in the first column has a partial match in the second.  I don't have a preference as to whether or not another column is created for this purpose or if conditional formatting is done.  Please let me know if I need to provide you with any additional information.  Thank you for your consideration.

when I do this I would use something like

in say C2 and drag fill.  

or Countif(A:A,"*"&B2&"*")

a lot depends on what you mean by a partial match and what is stored in each column.

in the first countif, the countif will count the number of cells in column B that have the value in cell A1 as a substring.  

It would be entered in C2 or another column in row 2.  Then drag fill down the column for as far as you have values in column A.   (do the opposite for the other countif setup).

Does that help?  

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.