Excel/Number of rows between values

Hi Damon,

In column A, I have a list of time values(8:00,8:01,8:02 etc). Duplicate times can appear in this column (8:00.8:01,8:01,8:02)As an example, I need to count the number of rows between 8:00 and 8:10. I tried a matching formula but time values and matching formulas are unreliable. Any suggestions?

Hi Dave,

Yes, the matching formula is unreliable because it looks a the internal representations of time values rather than what is displayed.  For example, when you see 8:00 displayed, this is actually internally 0.333333333..., or 1/3 of a day since internally times are represented as fractions of days.  Since matches must be exact, the fact that Excel cannot represent 1/3 exactly causes this problem.

Here is a user-defined function (UDF) that gets around this problem by only requiring that the time match within 0.1 second.  Here is the code:

Function RowsBetween(R1 As Range, Tstart As String, Tstop As String) As Long

'  Gives number of rows between time values located starting in range T1,
'  and starting at time value Tstart and ending at Tstop.
'  Example: =RowsBetween( A1, "8:00", "8:10" ) will give the number of rows
'          between 8:00 and 8:10 in column A.

Dim iRow    As Long
  Dim Row1    As Long
  Dim Row2    As Long
  Dim T1      As Date
  Dim T2      As Date
  'Convert time strings to date values
  T1 = TimeValue(Tstart)
  T2 = TimeValue(Tstop)
  iRow = R1.Row
  Row1 = iRow
  Do Until IsEmpty(Cells(iRow, R1.Column))
     If ApproxEquals(Cells(iRow, R1.Column), T1) Then
        Row1 = iRow
     ElseIf ApproxEquals(Cells(iRow, R1.Column), T2) Then
        Row2 = iRow
        RowsBetween = Row2 - Row1
        Exit Function
     End If
     iRow = iRow + 1
End Function

Function ApproxEquals(T1 As Date, T2 As Date) As Boolean

'tests two date-time values and returns True if they
  'are the same within 0.1 second
  ApproxEquals = Abs(T2 - T1) < 0.1 / 86400
End Function

Please note that the start and end times must be entered as text strings (i.e., in quotes),
and that R1 identifies the column containing the time values, but more specifically the cell
where the search starts.

Some assumptions:

1. If as you mention that there are two or more successive values it will count rows between the last starting value and the first ending value.  For example, if your list is (8:00, 8:00, 8:00, 8:01, ..., 8:09, 8:10, 8:10)), RowsBetween will still give a number of rows = 10.

2. You don't want to include the starting row in the count.

To install this UDF in your workbook:

1. Go to the Visual Basic Editor (keyboard Alt-TMV)
2. Insert a new macro module (Alt-IM)
3. Paste all the above code into the Code pane.

The UDF will then be immediately available for use.  Use it as illustrated by the example in the
code comments.

I hope you find this helpful.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Damon Ostrander

I have extensive experience with VBA programming in Excel 5 through Excel 2013. As a former aerospace engineer with a large aerospace corporation and consultant in a small defense technology services company, I have developed a wide range of applications in VBA, including simulations involving mixed-language programming, satellite orbit mechanics, graphics and animation, and real-time applications. I am interested in moderate to hard VBA-related questions only.

I have developed and taught several courses in Excel VBA programming and also VBA programming in Office 97, 2000, and 2007. I have developed a number of large technical applications in Excel VBA for use within the aerospace industry.

B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley.