Excel/Excel Help

HI, I have a spreadsheet (attached screenshot of it). In this data set I am interested in the column of ID numbers and column of depths. The Fish Tag ID numbers change (and do not always have the same number of cells for each ID). I am interested in calculating the average, standard deviation, and min/max for the depth readings for each individual Fish ID. There are only 30 unique different tag IDs but I have 9939 rows of data. Is there an easier way to extract this data for each tag ID as opposed to going through each one separately? Thanks!

You image is too small to read, but it looks like you have Fish ID in column B and depth in column E.   

Assume you have a fish ID in cell  M2, then in cell
N2: =Average(if($B$2:$B$9939=$M2,$E$2:$E$9939))
O2: =Stdev(if($B$2:$B$9939=$M2,$E$2:$E$9939))
P2: =Min(if($B$2:$B$9939=$M2,$E$2:$E$9939))
Q2: =Max(if($B$2:$B$9939=$M2,$E$2:$E$9939))

Enter each formula with Ctrl+Shift+Enter rather than just Enter.  (hold down the control and shift keys and  hit enter)

Formulas were tested with dummy data and worked for me.

then select N2:Q2 and drag fill down the columns.  This assumes you have a list of unique fish ID's in column M starting in row 2.  You can copy all your fish IDs  (B1:B9939) and paste them in column M (paste to M1).  Then select all your data in column M and go to the data menu and use the remove duplicates button.

If you need more help, send the file to twogilvy@msn.com

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.