Excel/Copy & paste to filtered cells

Hi Tom

Just a simple question on this “copy & paste” trick which I thought it would work but somehow it didn’t

To illustrate with a simple example – the sheet has many columns where column A has all product codes and column D has client country of origin
Product “AABB-1” in column A corresponds to many countries in column D i.e. US, UK, Australia etc…
I have applied filter and selected all “AABB-1” product code in column A that has “UK” in column D – then I need to change the product name from “AABB-1” to “AABB-1 TBC”
This is what I did:  1) select those filtered cells in column A with “AABB-1”  
         2) press ALT + ;
         3) copy “AABB-1 TBC” to the selections

Somehow it didn’t work properly – for example row 4 and 6 are the filtered ones but product code in row 5 was replaced with new one as well. I thought by press ALT + ; it would only select those filtered result?

I had my data filtered so only AABB-1 rows were visible.  I typed AABB-1 TBC in a random cell not in the data and copied it

I selected all the data in column A and then did ALT + ;    That reduced the selection of all cells to just the visible cells.  I then did a paste and it worked as expected for me.  

When I selected the data in column A, it selects both hidden and unhidden.  Doing the ALT + ;  was equivalent to doing F5 (Go To), selecting special and then selecting visible and OK.

So it worked for me.  

An alternative would be to select the filtered data with the first visible cell as the active cell.  Do your Alt + ; to just select the visible cells.  Edit the Active Cell to change it to AABB-1 TBC, then hit Ctrl + Enter rather than just enter and it will update all the selected cells (the visible cells).  

Reading your post, it appears that you did the proper steps so I can only describe what worked for me and you can judge if that is different from what you did.  

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.