Excel/Extracting a spread value

Hi Damon,

Office 2003

I have a cell that updates in real time. I need to capture the spread between it's high and low over n period of time. I currently can do this thanks to you, by using a timer to separate high and low and then pushing it to an array. That allows me to capture the spread over n periods of time. The problem is stability. Timers in Excel are pretty crappy. Any ideas for a more stable solution.

Hi David,

I assume you are using the OnTime event to trigger the code to give you the spread when each time period is up.  Correct?

Also are you using a Calculate or Change event to run your code each time the cell updates and look for/save new high/low values?  

Cam you also give me some more information about the stability problem?  I know timers and the OnTime event have a number of problems, but I need to better understand the exact nature of your problem.  Is something interfering with or delaying the OnTime event?  Certainly if you have a computer problem and have to reboot that will cancel the scheduled OnTime event run, but there are some things that can be done to re-schedule the run, but of course the end of the period might be past and you would have no way to know the the real high and low values were while the computer was down.

I'm ready to help when I understand your problem better.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Damon Ostrander

I have extensive experience with VBA programming in Excel 5 through Excel 2013. As a former aerospace engineer with a large aerospace corporation and consultant in a small defense technology services company, I have developed a wide range of applications in VBA, including simulations involving mixed-language programming, satellite orbit mechanics, graphics and animation, and real-time applications. I am interested in moderate to hard VBA-related questions only.

I have developed and taught several courses in Excel VBA programming and also VBA programming in Office 97, 2000, and 2007. I have developed a number of large technical applications in Excel VBA for use within the aerospace industry.

B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley.