Excel/Trimming characters after the 4 digits in a string of characters

Hi Tom,

As a follow up to my last question.  If it helps you, rather than look for a URL that beings with www.  You can search for string of text ending in ?id=#### and truncate anything after #### up to the first space.  The difference here is I would like to check for more than one URL link in a cell.  I have cells that have up to 40 URL links that need to be converted.

Use this link great. thanks. Or use*secondchange good.  Thanks.

Desired result:
Use this link great. thanks. Or use good.  Thanks.

Thanks Tom

Even narrowing the problem down to handle your insightful revision of your requirement, a formula approach would require finding the ID and then finding the match blank in the string.  Then replacing that substring with nothing.  So I continue to maintain that you would require a macro/vba.  The question would be that if that is acceptable, what form would the solution take.  Would it be a custom userdefined function that could be used in the worksheet or a macro that is run that processes specified cells  (all cells, selected cells, a specific range, etc)

If you want to pursue a macro, then you can contact me a and tell me more and if it appears reasonable, then I can see what I can come up with.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.