Excel/formula adjustment

Hi Tom

I have written the following formula into cell M1:

Column K contains a list of students from various classes who have received scores in a test.  If I filter the results of column K so that it only contains one class and not the whole list, I cell M1 still produces the same result.  

At present the figure produced in column K for the whole cohort of students is 4.  However the average of one group in particular is 2.5.  If I filter the list so that it only contains the second group, the figure produced in column K is still 4.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance.

=ROUND(SUM(K:K)/COUNTIF(K:K,">0"),0)  refers to the whole column regardless of filtering.

if you want to apply a condition, you could put the value in say cell N1
the formula as written assumes you checking for column L containing the value in N1 (you filtered for the value in N1 on column L).  Adjust to fit your actual situation.

tested and worked for me.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.