Excel/copy worksheet from one workbook to another

Question
Hi Tom,

I would like to know if I can copy a worksheet from one workbook to another using VBA.

This is the scenario, In the same folder I have multiple workbooks, one workbook will be called “Budget” and in this workbook there is a worksheet called “Numbers”.

Here’s the tricky part, when I open up one of the other workbooks there are multiple worksheets within, there is one worksheet that is called “Numbers” just like in the “Budget” workbook. I would like to delete this “numbers” worksheet and then copy the “Numbers” worksheet from the “Budget” workbook in to the newly opened (active)workbook.

Normally the “Budget” workbook would be closed, can the required worksheet be copied from a closed workbook?

Can this be done?

I am using excel 2016, if you need more info please let me know.

Thanks very much for any help you can give.

Alison

Answer
Alison,

If you want to copy a sheet from one workbook to another, then both workbooks need to be open

The basic code would be like this:

Sub abc()
Dim Bk1 As Workbook, Bk2 As Workbook
Set Bk1 = Workbooks("Budget.xlsx")  '<== change to real name of the budget workbook
Set Bk2 = ActiveWorkbook  
On Error Resume Next
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Bk2.Worksheets("Numbers").Delete
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
On Error GoTo 0
Bk1.Worksheets("Numbers").Copy After:=Bk2.Worksheets(Bk2.Worksheets.Count)
Set Bk1 = Nothing
Set Bk2 = Nothing
End Sub

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy