Excel/Drop down listbox and copy next cell

Hi Tom,

Im trying to setup a drop down listbox with a twist, let me explain in more detail.

This is what I have so far: a workbook with 2 worksheets, lets say the Tabs are called sheet1 and sheet2 (original I know). In sheet1 there will be names in column A starting at A5 down, this will be added to over time. In sheet2 there will be a drop down listbox(s) that will be populated with any of the names in sheet1. This works, its not dynamic but it works, this is what I have in the data validation source box:   =Sheet1!$A$5:$A$49 .

This works fine, but the twist is this, when the name is selected from the drop down listbox (in sheet2) I would like to have what is in column B copied to the cell below. Let me explain in more detail with some examples. In Sheet1 in A5 it has the name Bob, in B5 it will have a country, England, then A6 Bill and B6 France, the A7 Tim and B7 Japan and so on.

Then on sheet2 when one of the names are selected from the drop down listbox, lets say Tim, I would like to copy whats in the next column (B in sheet1), in this case Japan to the row directly below the drop down listbox.  So if the drop down listbox is in cell A10 and Tim is selected then Japan will be copied to A11.
If the drop down listbox is in cell A17 then Bob is selected, then England will be copied to A18.
If the drop down listbox is in cell A25 then Tim is selected, then Japan will be copied to A25 and so on.

I have tried looking at example on the web, but I just dont know how. I think the offset function might have to be used.

I hope this make sense and I would be happy to clarify anything if I have havent explained myself properly.

I am using excel 2016.

Many thanks

You cite one of the dropdowns as being in cell A10 on sheet 2.

in cell A11 you should put in the formula

Then when a value is selected in A10 on sheet2, the vlookup will go to sheet1 and return the matching value from column B.
The second argument in a vlookup is the lookup range.  For vlookup, the value being looked up must be in the left hand column of the lookup range - in your case, column A.  The third argument tells vlookup what column in the lookup range should be used to return a value from the matching row.  The 2 in my example says column B which is what you want.

The last argument of Vlookup says to find an exact match.  In your case an exact match is appropriate.  This also doesn't require the lookup range to be sorted by the leftmost column.

If  there is anything unclear, then post a followup and I can try to clarify.  People seem to have a lot of problems with Vlookup, but it is a very useful function and is perfect for what you describe.

Your challenge will be keeping the lookup range reference in the formula updated to match the range your using in your dropdown.   If you are going to add values, it would be best to insert rows within the existing data because then the range references will be expanded automatically to match.  

Tom Ogilvy
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.