Excel/Lookup table and return value

Question
jpeg image
jpeg image  
Dear Aidan,

I have a table in sheet2 with header (In Row 2) such as 32, 68, 1045, 3600, 4580 and beneath that column contains a set of numbers (See image alongside)

Now in sheet1 i have number 68 in cell C7 and 21712 in E7. Number 68 is changeable in any one of the numbers in the header(Row2). Also 21700 can be any number.

Help me to write formula in cell F7 to find the exact number or next immediate higher number entered in E7 based on number in C7 form the table in sheet2.

If C7 = 68 and E7 = 21712 then the answer in F7 should be 22400.

Thanks for your continued support.

Answer
a little messy I'm afraid

=OFFSET(OFFSET($A$2,0,MATCH(Sheet1!C7,$B$2:$E$2,0)),MATCH(VLOOKUP(Sheet1!E7,OFFSET($A$2:$A$9,0,MATCH(Sheet1!C7,$B$2:$E$2,0)),1,TRUE),OFFSET($A$2:$A$9,0,MATCH(Sheet1!C7,$B$2:$E$2,0)),0),0)

Reference to A2:A9 should be replaced with the actual size of the data - but always starting one row to the left of the data you want to return - so if you had 900 data points, a2:a902 would be the range.

I can let you see a sheet with the working for this if it helps - my direct email is support@flameenterprises.co.uk
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage