You are here:

Exporting & Importing Goods/import and selling into USA as non resident


QUESTION: can you tell me how I can go about selling accessories product from Germany and China into USA under my Canadian company and because I have a vacation home in the USA will it affect my travel back and forth for sales purpose as well as vacation.
thank you

ANSWER: Hello Melissa,

First you will have to establish a customer base in the United States.  I cannot help you with that.  I can assist you will getting a Non-Resident I.D.# and a surety bond once you are ready to import your products.  I can also assist with the Customs related issues.

Your business should not have any impact on your personal travel.

Please contact me when you are ready to start selling your goods here in the USA.

Thank you,

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick response! Can you tell me whom I will need to speak with regards to traveling into and around the USA to promote business and show samples in order to establish a client base.
Thank you kindly


I do not know the laws in your country for international travel.  I would start by contacting the office that issues passports.

Please let me know if I can further assist you.


---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: The issue Lisa is not my country of Canada, its coming into America and selling. Obviously there are many companies in Canada that sell to the USA but my question is who I need to speak to regarding any visa and right to come onto American soil to sell my products.


Again, I am not able to assist you with regards to travel, I deal strictly with commerce issues for importing goods, not people.  I would still contact the office in your country that issues passports and they should be able to direct you.

Thank you,

Exporting & Importing Goods

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Lisa Madrid


I have over 20 years of experience in import transportation and customs clearance. I am not able to answer export related questions but can assist with imports into the United States.


I have been a licensed Customs Broker since 1996 and have been working for the freight forwarding industry for 24 years. I currently have my own business as an import consultant offering advice to importers in area of Customs regulatory compliance and am partnered with several prominent Customs attorneys.

CCBFA (Chicago Customs brokers and Forwarders Association) OWIT (Organization of Women in International Trade) ITAGC (International Trade Association of Greater Chicago)

Licensed as Customs Broker, issued 1996 NCBFAA Certified Customs Specialist

©2017 All rights reserved.