Exporting & Importing Goods/use of power of attorney

QUESTION: I am importing sugar in to the states from Mexico. My firm has imported products into the states for many years. The Mexican supplier is new to us as is the customs agent being used. They are asking us for a power of attorney(the customs agent)to be used specifically for the importation process. We are refusing this request, and are at an impasse . Why , if at all would there need to be a power of attorney assigned??

ANSWER: Hello Matt,

You should not have to give them the Power of Attorney, you should advise them that you already have a Customs Broker and that you would like to have them handle the clearance for you.  Of course, I do not know the terms of sale and it could affect the price.  Your current Customs Broker should be able to bill their charges to the freight forwarder involved.

In order for me to give you a more accurate response I would like for you to advise the terms of sale.  

Thank you,

QUESTION: Lisa,  on the first order the terms of sale are cash. The product has already been paid for , and is ready to be shipped. The issue /question about the power of attorney came up after the fact, and before the product is to be shipped. We have made all arrangements necessary with this request being the  exception.

Hi Matt,

What I am asking for are the incoterms involved, such as Delivered Duty Paid (DDP) or Cost, Insurance, Freight (CIF).  What agreement did you work out with them as far as where possession of the goods takes place, who is paying for the Customs Clearance, etc.?

If you respond back to me in private mode with a phone number I will call you and try to answer your question more completely.  You may have to start a new question to me in order to do private mode if you cannot find the option when responding to this answer.

Exporting & Importing Goods

Lisa Madrid

I have over 20 years of experience in import transportation and customs clearance. I am not able to answer export related questions but can assist with imports into the United States.

I have been a licensed Customs Broker since 1996 and have been working for the freight forwarding industry for 24 years. I currently have my own business as an import consultant offering advice to importers in area of Customs regulatory compliance and am partnered with several prominent Customs attorneys.

CCBFA (Chicago Customs brokers and Forwarders Association) OWIT (Organization of Women in International Trade) ITAGC (International Trade Association of Greater Chicago)

Licensed as Customs Broker, issued 1996 NCBFAA Certified Customs Specialist