Exporting & Importing Goods/Shipping/custom cost importing jewelry from Italy to USA, California.

I am investigating all costs related to import jewelry from Italy to US to see if it is worth as a small business.
My sister lives there and she could go through trade shows and local artisanal makers to see what to buy (bijoux jewelry, stone and silver) then ship the merchandise to me and we would sell at retail level in California, initially locally through fairs, city exhibitions, markets, etc.
I would like to have a precise ideas on % of costs related to tax import/custom dues and transportation since shipping worldwide has become extremely expensive -- may be not so much for businesses ? --

Hope you can help.

Thank you,

Thank you for your query.  You may want to talk to the US Trade Rep's office as well as a European Union Trade Rep. Am sure the taxes associated with the trade wont be that high. Also, you may want to find out the code the goods have in the Nomenclator which is available for free online. FedEx/UPS/DHL have great info on line regarding the shipping costs. You may also need a Customs Broker--which are not cheap. The European Community and the US have a long history of trading and in good terms mostly.  Let me know if I can be of further assistance.  

Exporting & Importing Goods

I will be happy to answer questions about small businesses, import and export activity, employee benefits and benefit administration.

about 15 years of experience with small businesses. Day to day operations, growth issues, employee benefit administration, etc.

Masters in Economics, Masters in Public Administration