Exporting & Importing Goods/Importing maternity clothes from Peru

Dear Lisa,

I am opening a new business online selling clothes made in Peru. I have no idea what questions to ask these factories, about quotes etc. what are the steps,to follow to accomplish this.
What are the first steps to acomplish in my first 30 to 60 days.
What types of taxes do I have to pay on importing goods.

One more question, I'm not a fashion designer, do these factories offer design samples for clothing. Or do I have to provide my own designs.

Hi Claudia,

I am sorry but I will not be able to assist you with any factory negotiations.  Once you have the specific apparel items selected, contact me again with details about each item and I can help you with determining the duty rates for each.  I will need a complete description including fabric composition (knit, woven, cotton, etc.).  Photographs are also helpful.

I can also help you get a quote for shipping and Customs clearance and help you purchase a surety bond if you are going to be a regular importer.

Good luck and hope to hear from you soon!

Exporting & Importing Goods

Lisa Madrid

I have over 20 years of experience in import transportation and customs clearance. I am not able to answer export related questions but can assist with imports into the United States.

I have been a licensed Customs Broker since 1996 and have been working for the freight forwarding industry for 24 years. I currently have my own business as an import consultant offering advice to importers in area of Customs regulatory compliance and am partnered with several prominent Customs attorneys.

CCBFA (Chicago Customs brokers and Forwarders Association) OWIT (Organization of Women in International Trade) ITAGC (International Trade Association of Greater Chicago)

Licensed as Customs Broker, issued 1996 NCBFAA Certified Customs Specialist