Exporting & Importing Goods/handbags imported into the US...

Hi Lisa,

I'd like to know if you could tell me if i need to  have a printed label specifying the material for the handbag (synthetic leather) in the handbag I import to the US? I know the country of origin is required but I'm not sure if material label is necessary too.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Hi Ellie,

Thanks for contacting me.  Yes, there is a labeling requirement for textile handbags.  It need to be visible on the inside of the bag.  Here is a link to the FTC website that gives you everything you need to know and then some!

I hope this is helpful to you and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Upon further review of this guide I am finding that handbags are NOT covered!  I had spoken to a friend of mine at Customs and he had said yes.  What I am seeing is that you cannot falsely claim it to be made of leather.

24.2 Deception as to composition.

It is unfair or deceptive to misrepresent, directly or by implication, the composition of any industry product or part thereof. It is unfair or deceptive to use the unqualified term "leather" or other unqualified terms suggestive of leather to describe industry products unless the industry product so described is composed in all substantial parts of leather.1 This section includes, but is not limited to, the following:

(a) Imitation or simulated leather. If all or part of an industry product is made of non-leather material that appears to be leather, the fact that the material is not leather, or the general nature of the material as something other than leather, should be disclosed. For example: Not leather; Imitation leather; Simulated leather; Vinyl; Vinyl coated fabric; or Plastic.

Sorry for the confusion.  If I have time I will confirm the above with the Import Specialist.

Exporting & Importing Goods

Lisa Madrid

I have over 20 years of experience in import transportation and customs clearance. I am not able to answer export related questions but can assist with imports into the United States.

I have been a licensed Customs Broker since 1996 and have been working for the freight forwarding industry for 24 years. I currently have my own business as an import consultant offering advice to importers in area of Customs regulatory compliance and am partnered with several prominent Customs attorneys.

CCBFA (Chicago Customs brokers and Forwarders Association) OWIT (Organization of Women in International Trade) ITAGC (International Trade Association of Greater Chicago)

Licensed as Customs Broker, issued 1996 NCBFAA Certified Customs Specialist