Exporting & Importing Goods/Export clothing from USA to South East Asia

Hi There,  I am a stay at home mom, am thinking of buying branded children clothing (RL Polo, Tommy H, etc) at the outlet, then export it to SEA.  My target quantities is 200 pieces each time.  Do I need a export license?  What is the cheapest way of shipping?  Do I have to pay tax at the receiving country?  Do you think this "trading" workable?  Your suggestion please?

Good day,

No. You do not need an export license - just some paperwork / docs.

Yes, you will have to pay import taxes, although they are not referred to as taxes.  They are called Duty/Duties or tariffs.  The amount of duty is a percentage of the commercial invoice value, and will vary from country to country.

Usually Ocean Freight is the cheapest way to ship, but with a quantity of 200, there may be other quicker, more cost effective methods.

There are several other factors to consider, and best gone over in a short conversation. Send an email to and we will reply with our contact information.

Best regards,

Exporting & Importing Goods

Steve Van Duzen

Questions about general import and export sources, procedures, financing terms, shipping, classification, harmonized tariff, and negotiations are all within the area of my expertise.

For the last 12 years I have been the CEO of International Machine Imports, Inc. We have operations in Germany, China, Brazil and the United States. Over the last decade we have imported and exported such goods as machinery / capital equipment, parts / componentry, tooling, consumer goods, products and assemblies which are used en-masse by factories. Our company can be viewed at

Wire Journal, Wire Technology, SME.

Michigan State University and Florida Atlantic University.

While my confidentiality agreements prohibit me from divulging my client names, I can tell you that several components you use on a daily basis stem from our efforts on importing and exporting materials, equipment, components and other goods to manufactures across a wide array of industries. Presently, we provide our services within the Global Alkaline Battery market, Automotive, Bearing, Dental, Medical, Aerospace, Wire and Cable, Ammunition and Fastener Industries.