Exporting & Importing Goods/Importing Gold Jewelry

I am interested in importing gold jewelry from Egypt.  I am working with an Egyptian national who is knowledgeable in the field.  He would like to send me high quality gold jewelry which I will sell in a small boutique store.  What are the regulations that I must know, and must I pay duty or tariff for the gold items?  Thank you in advance for your kind reply.

Hi John,

Each item of jewelry would have a different HTS number so I would need a list of each item in order to give you the proper classification, jewelry is too vague.  If you would send me a very short list I will give you the numbers at no cost.

I also need more information such as value of each shipment and the frequency.  That will help me determine whether you will need a surety bond or not.  Also let me know how the goods will be shipped to you.

Exporting & Importing Goods

Lisa Madrid

I have over 20 years of experience in import transportation and customs clearance. I am not able to answer export related questions but can assist with imports into the United States.

I have been a licensed Customs Broker since 1996 and have been working for the freight forwarding industry for 24 years. I currently have my own business as an import consultant offering advice to importers in area of Customs regulatory compliance and am partnered with several prominent Customs attorneys.

CCBFA (Chicago Customs brokers and Forwarders Association) OWIT (Organization of Women in International Trade) ITAGC (International Trade Association of Greater Chicago)

Licensed as Customs Broker, issued 1996 NCBFAA Certified Customs Specialist