Exporting & Importing Goods/shipping charges

Question
Hello:  I have a product and have two customers. One in California, one in NYC.

I would like to pack up my product, have it boxed up ready for pick up at my warehouse, have a delivery service/local trucker bring it from my warehouse door in the Florida Keys to Miami airport and deliver it to the respective customers in California and NYC -- ALL at the cost of the customer.

What terminology do I use to ensure that the customers know that it is their cost from the departure at my warehouse door to their door?

Do I use the same terminology if the product is going to Hong Kong?

Answer
Hi Mary,

The three letter abbreviations are known as incoterms.  I have placed a link to a chart for you below.

http://www.tristar.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Incoterms-Guide.pdf

Incoterms actually relate to the title of the goods and define who the responsible party is for the goods, not just how they are shipped - eg. insurance.

Paste the link above in your browser, and the chart will show you all of the top incoterms and just match it up to what you want.  Sounds like you want Ex-Works or FOB.  So if it is their responsibility when it immediately exits your warehouse door in Marathon, for example, it should read Ex-Works, Marathon or FOB Marathon.  For the international shipments, I would put down Ex-Works, Marathon, FL, USA Duty Unpaid, or FOB, Marathon, FL, USA Duty Unpaid.

Best regards,

Steve Van Duzen

Exporting & Importing Goods

Steve Van Duzen