Exporting & Importing Goods/Importing from India to the uk

Question
Hello,

First of all I would like to say that it's a gat website. Hope I would be able to find and to my questions from here.

Well I am trying to import food items from India to the uk, one of them is called chikki which is a peanut and jaggery bar, sesame and jaggery bar, and mouth freshners made of fennel seeds cotted in sugar with different flavours.

I have .been to the gov.uk website and found the product codes roughly but it's king me for a lot more details.

What I really won't to know is how do I get started? I can get samples anytime but can I get anyone to help with with product specifications?
And once I do that how can I get it in the uk?
What kind of mdu try do I pay?
What papers do I need to let ready in the uk?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Answer
Good day,

Importing food products is a little bit more complicated than bringing in non-food products.  The actual manufacturer of the product will have to give you the product specifications.  These may be required for the labeling of the products for sale within the UK.

I would suggest speaking with a freight forwarder who specializes in shipping and clearing food products.  A company like Schenker International can help you, and they have offices in all of the major cities in India as well as the UK.

One item for consideration is the temperature requirements during shipping.  

Best regards,

Exporting & Importing Goods

Steve Van Duzen