Exporting & Importing Goods/regarding DP credit terms

If I want to import on DP TERMS, With 30 days credit, what is the procedure? How should I approach my bank?

should I make the payment to the seller before the 30 days expires?

Will I get the documents from the seller or from the bank, when I need to take delivery of goods.

I understand that the title to the goods remains with the seller until I make payment, but what about the original documents that I need for customs clearance?

Please clarify.

Good afternoon,

This is similar to a letter of credit.  The exporter will release the goods upon receipt of confirmed payment for them.

Usually there is not a credit period when dealing with DP.  The credit period may be in the transport of the goods.  There is also the important point of title to the goods and responsibility of insurance.  I am sure they will not ship anything out which is not insured.

I would suggest the following - find out who their bank contact person is, and have your bank contact them to complete the necessary paperwork.

The paperwork which will go with the shipment will remain with the shipment, however, the exporter should send you copies of the bill of lading, packing list, commercial invoice, etc.

Hopefully this helps you.

Best regards,

Exporting & Importing Goods

Steve Van Duzen

Questions about general import and export sources, procedures, financing terms, shipping, classification, harmonized tariff, and negotiations are all within the area of my expertise.

For the last 12 years I have been the CEO of International Machine Imports, Inc. We have operations in Germany, China, Brazil and the United States. Over the last decade we have imported and exported such goods as machinery / capital equipment, parts / componentry, tooling, consumer goods, products and assemblies which are used en-masse by factories. Our company can be viewed at

Wire Journal, Wire Technology, SME.

Michigan State University and Florida Atlantic University.

While my confidentiality agreements prohibit me from divulging my client names, I can tell you that several components you use on a daily basis stem from our efforts on importing and exporting materials, equipment, components and other goods to manufactures across a wide array of industries. Presently, we provide our services within the Global Alkaline Battery market, Automotive, Bearing, Dental, Medical, Aerospace, Wire and Cable, Ammunition and Fastener Industries.