Exporting & Importing Goods/art into USA

Question
QUESTION: Hi

Looking to import fine art to USA to sell on a USA web site from a NYC based storage and distribution depot.  UK based company

Looking to see what complications there are to importing to US and also the most cost effective way of doing this. Think 30 or so paintings would be v expensive with a Fed EX delivery.

ANSWER: Hi Richard,

Do you have specific concern that I can address for you?  I don't really have any idea what you are asking of me.

Thank you,
Lisa

QUESTION: Yes sorry. Whats the most cost effective way you know of exporting art from EU to US and are there any import duties (hidden costs) i should be aware of?

Answer
Hello,

Typically the cheapest mode of transport is via ocean freight but it also takes longer.  If your weights are over 100 pounds each shipment I can get a quotation for you to compare between air and ocean.  Shipments under 100 pounds should be sent via a courier service.

Original works of art are normally duty free but are subject to Merchandise Processing Fee or MPF which is .3464% of the commercial value.  I strongly suggest that the importer of record procure a continuous bond if the shipments will be frequent and high value.  I can assist with this as well.

If you need further assistance please start a new message to me un "private" mode so we can exchange contact information.

Best regards,
Lisa  

Exporting & Importing Goods

Lisa Madrid