Exporting & Importing Goods/Travelling into states with commercial vehicle

Hi, I will be traveling throughout Canada during the summer with my mobile tack/harness (equestrian supplies) trailer and truck.  On my return trip, I would like to visit family in the US and also visit one of my product manufacturers.  I don't plan to sell anything in the US, but perhaps purchase some products.  Some of the products that I will be carrying were previously imported from US to my shop in Canada.  What paperwork do I need to prove what I have imported already.  Do I need to make any special arrangements at the border crossing etc.?

Hi Carolyn,

The products that you will have with you, are they used?  Are they new in the package?  If new and from the U.S. they should be labeled "Made in the U.S.A.".  My concern is for the goods you may have that are from Canada or other countries.  You may need to have a Temporary Import Bond or TIB prepared for you at the border.  If you will be purchasing any goods while here in the U.S. you will need to clear them upon re-entry into Canada as well.

If you need more assistance please start a new message to me in "Private" mode so we can exchange contact information.

Thank you,

Exporting & Importing Goods

Lisa Madrid

I have over 20 years of experience in import transportation and customs clearance. I am not able to answer export related questions but can assist with imports into the United States.

I have been a licensed Customs Broker since 1996 and have been working for the freight forwarding industry for 24 years. I currently have my own business as an import consultant offering advice to importers in area of Customs regulatory compliance and am partnered with several prominent Customs attorneys.

CCBFA (Chicago Customs brokers and Forwarders Association) OWIT (Organization of Women in International Trade) ITAGC (International Trade Association of Greater Chicago)

Licensed as Customs Broker, issued 1996 NCBFAA Certified Customs Specialist