Exporting & Importing Goods/importing goods from Africa

Two Non Profit missionary organizations want to import hand made crafts from Africa to be sold at a farmers market here in TX. to raise funds for the Mission trips.  The items would be dolls, baskets, ornaments, jewelry and carved wooden items.  Some coming from Liberia, Tanzania,Zanzibar and Kenya.  What kind of license do we need to have? Both organizations are 501 c 3 in USA and in Africa. Some items we would bring back when we come others will be sent as needed.

Hi Paula,

There are quite a few regulations that you will need to know about pertaining to some of the items you wish to import.  You do not need a license but I would suggest you obtain a surety bond.

You are going to need a lot of info so I suggest you either start a new message to me in private mode or see if you can reply back to me in private mode.  I will give you my contact info and we can talk further.

Best regards,

Exporting & Importing Goods

Lisa Madrid

I have over 20 years of experience in import transportation and customs clearance. I am not able to answer export related questions but can assist with imports into the United States.

I have been a licensed Customs Broker since 1996 and have been working for the freight forwarding industry for 24 years. I currently have my own business as an import consultant offering advice to importers in area of Customs regulatory compliance and am partnered with several prominent Customs attorneys.

CCBFA (Chicago Customs brokers and Forwarders Association) OWIT (Organization of Women in International Trade) ITAGC (International Trade Association of Greater Chicago)

Licensed as Customs Broker, issued 1996 NCBFAA Certified Customs Specialist