You are here:

Exporting & Importing Goods/Steps For Importing From China


Hello Lisa,

My name is Timothy. I own a small boutique publishing business.

I'm hiring a printer in China to manufacture 300 hard cover books for me worth about $2,500. And they will be sending it to me in the U.S. express through UPS.

Do I need to file any reports to a customs agency? If so what forms specifically, and when must I submit them?

Also, am I correct thinking that there will be no duty on these books?

Thanks so much for your free expertise. All the best.

Be Well,


UPS will handle the Customs formalities most likely.  This depends on your terms of sale and what service level you are being offered.  I suggest you confirm so there are no surprises.

Yes, you are correct, most printed matter is duty free.

Best regards,

Exporting & Importing Goods

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Lisa Madrid


I have over 20 years of experience in import transportation and customs clearance. I am not able to answer export related questions but can assist with imports into the United States.


I have been a licensed Customs Broker since 1996 and have been working for the freight forwarding industry for 24 years. I currently have my own business as an import consultant offering advice to importers in area of Customs regulatory compliance and am partnered with several prominent Customs attorneys.

CCBFA (Chicago Customs brokers and Forwarders Association) OWIT (Organization of Women in International Trade) ITAGC (International Trade Association of Greater Chicago)

Licensed as Customs Broker, issued 1996 NCBFAA Certified Customs Specialist

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]