Exporting & Importing Goods/Importing sauce products to US

Question
Hi Lisa,
I am a very small UK based producer of chilli sauces, and I have managed to land a deal to supply a custom chilli sauce to a UK rock band for them to use as a promo item.

The product will initially be sold via the internet, direct to end users for their personal consumption (no resellers).

The product contains no animal or dairy ingredients.

The product contains no artificial additives, though it does contain isomerised hop extract (essential oil of hops in other words).

Are there any restrictions or documentation requirements that my customer should be aware of when sending examples of this product to buyers in the US?

TIA

Answer
Hi Ian,

It really depends on how the goods are being shipped.  Besides Customs release, all food items require Food and Drug clearance as well.  If they are shipping small lightweight quantities then I recommend they use a courier service like Fed Ex or DHL who will handle all the formalities.  Usually the clearance is the responsibility of the importer but the courier can offer door to door service that will include everything.

I suggest you read up on Prior Notice that is also required.  The facility where the product is made will need to be registered with FDA.  Here is a link to more information:  http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/ImportsExports/Importing/ucm2006836.h

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

Best regards,
Lisa

Exporting & Importing Goods

Lisa Madrid