Exporting & Importing Goods/Importing handmade jewelry from Europe

Hello Lisa,

I would like to ask you about duty and sale taxes on handmade jewelry and accessories (pottery) imported from Europe.

Im opening an online business in California and would like to know how can I calculate the duty and sales tax costs. Are there other fees? The value of imported things would be around 1000 dollars per month. Is there any difference with consignment trade?

Thank you very much!

Hi Eva,

I would need details on each item in order to give you duty rates.  I can tell you that any items that are food related will also need to clear FDA as well as Customs.  You should also purchase a surety bond prior to your first shipment.

If you would like, I can set up a consultation and we can discuss details and get you off to a good start.

Best regards,

Exporting & Importing Goods

Lisa Madrid

I have over 20 years of experience in import transportation and customs clearance. I am not able to answer export related questions but can assist with imports into the United States.

I have been a licensed Customs Broker since 1996 and have been working for the freight forwarding industry for 24 years. I currently have my own business as an import consultant offering advice to importers in area of Customs regulatory compliance and am partnered with several prominent Customs attorneys.

CCBFA (Chicago Customs brokers and Forwarders Association) OWIT (Organization of Women in International Trade) ITAGC (International Trade Association of Greater Chicago)

Licensed as Customs Broker, issued 1996 NCBFAA Certified Customs Specialist