Exporting & Importing Goods/country of origin

Question
When looking for the country of origin on a food product bought in the U.S., is it safe to assume that if no country is listed, that it is made in the U.S.? I am looking at a box of dog treats bought at Trader Joe's in Los Angeles and there is no country of origin listed on the box. Can I assume its made in the U.S.? Thanks.

Answer
Hi David,

Good question!  Articles imported into the U.S. are supposed to be marked so that the ultimate purchaser knows the country of origin and can make a decision about whether they wish to purchase the item or not.

In this case if you are not sure there should be contact information on the package.  typically companies that make their goods in the U.S. proudly say that but it is not a requirement.

Best regards,
Lisa

Exporting & Importing Goods

Lisa Madrid