Exporting & Importing Goods/country of origin

When looking for the country of origin on a food product bought in the U.S., is it safe to assume that if no country is listed, that it is made in the U.S.? I am looking at a box of dog treats bought at Trader Joe's in Los Angeles and there is no country of origin listed on the box. Can I assume its made in the U.S.? Thanks.

Hi David,

Good question!  Articles imported into the U.S. are supposed to be marked so that the ultimate purchaser knows the country of origin and can make a decision about whether they wish to purchase the item or not.

In this case if you are not sure there should be contact information on the package.  typically companies that make their goods in the U.S. proudly say that but it is not a requirement.

Best regards,

Exporting & Importing Goods

Lisa Madrid

I have over 20 years of experience in import transportation and customs clearance. I am not able to answer export related questions but can assist with imports into the United States.

I have been a licensed Customs Broker since 1996 and have been working for the freight forwarding industry for 24 years. I currently have my own business as an import consultant offering advice to importers in area of Customs regulatory compliance and am partnered with several prominent Customs attorneys.

CCBFA (Chicago Customs brokers and Forwarders Association) OWIT (Organization of Women in International Trade) ITAGC (International Trade Association of Greater Chicago)

Licensed as Customs Broker, issued 1996 NCBFAA Certified Customs Specialist