Exporting & Importing Goods/Cut price of raw materials

Question
Pallas21

I have a dehydrating business and one of my products is made from Malanga Lila.
I am located in Montreal and i buy from 2 local suppliers, they buy from importers from Toronto. These importers import from costa rica. The local distributors buy other products also.
From what i can see my local distributors sell around 2 pallets of 60 boxes . So the local market is about 4 pallets in total monthly.

I really need to have my raw material at the lowest price. Because i am drying and turned to powder i can stock my end product easily.
I am able to buy one pallet at a time. How can i get rid of the middlemen ?

How can i negociate with the importers from Toronto if i do not know what price i can get and i am buying just  one product? I need informations to be able to negotiate, how can i get the best price possible?
I need leverage and info to be able to have a good deal. How can i get them?

Thank you

Answer

Thank you for your query. Am not located in Canada, so, I won't be able to provide you with names. However, the price of the product you use is public information. You may want to check historical data for commodities and look for Malanga Lila. Check out origin and shipping costs, you may be able to import it directly and killing the middle person may help reduce costs.  You may want to check import duties and custom fees, cost of custom brokers, freight.  You may want to start at your local library or check out the University of Toronto, am sure you will find a ton of info on the product price and import issues.  Maybe an International Economics faculty member? or Doctorate programs, you may end up pleasantly surprised by the amount of info.  Then you will be able to make a good negotiation or find a better supplier.
Good luck.

Exporting & Importing Goods

Pallas21