Exporting & Importing Goods/export of hand made bags, jholas etc to USA

Question
Dear Mr. Rohit Pawar,
We are from a small village in Maharashtra, have a women's self help group which stitches cloth bags, jholas, ladies purses, makes Warli Art hand painting on cloth, embroidery design by hand etc. Every thing is hand made no machines (except sewing machine) is used. Recently some foreigners from USA visited our place and shown interest in buying these goods for selling in their country.

Sir, please can you guide what is the government rules we have to follow for this so that in small way we can send our products to USA from our village.

Sir please also can you suggest the correct websites where we will get the government circulars etc. to follow.
Thanks in advance. Regards. Shankar

Answer
Dear Mr.Shankar,

I will be happy if women's self help group expands its business globally.

First of all you need to apply for Import Export Code with DGFT Regional office. It is easy to get this code. This code is mandatory and is for both export and import.

- find out the ITC HS Code of  your products which you wish to export. These codes are of 8 digit. After finding out the codes, check the export policy in Schedule 2 of Tariff.

- Also ask your buyer to send you for list of documents and any formalities required from India

- Check the terms of payment, advance or through Letter of Credit.

- Also check terms of delivery i.e CIF, FOB, C&F etc.

- The Custom House Agent will also help you through whom you will clear your consignments from customs.

- If the payment is no secured pl. ensure that the export consignment is insured through ECGC

- You may check  the following websites for government policy, notifications and circulars

www.cbec.gov.in/,dgft.gov.in/

- If your products falls under handicraft category pl check www.epch.in/

- Pl also note that the payment of export must be in freely convertible foreign currency.

I hope the above information will useful to you. Pl. feel free to ask any further details you may need and wish you all the best.

Rohit Pawar

Exporting & Importing Goods

Mr. Rohit Pawar