Expressing Yourself to Others/Dating someone who is guarded

Question
Hello,
  I have been seeing a wonderful man since December. Previously, he was in a six year relationship that ended horribly and left him broken hearted. I feel like he has made lots of progress in terms of being vulnerable. We are exclusive and call each other boyfriend/girlfriend. I've met his friends and after a few months, met his mother.  He is willing to move towards being emotionally open to me, but is still understandably guarded and wants to move slowly in regards to this part of the relationship. I am willing to give him this time and I have fallen in love with him (my first love). I really want to tell him I love him, but I worry that this will cause him to shut down, or that I will be rejected. Any advice?

Answer
It just means he wants to be more measured than you do. It's nothing bad. He just isn't ready to have 'what are we doing here' type conversations  . I would take him at face value and ask yourself, "If I say thing X, am I acting like I have somehow developed a love induced head injury?"It is obvious that you are in love, but if this guy says he wants to 'take it slow' it could mean two things:

1- he is hurting due to a previous relationship and needs more time;
2- he is just enjoying having sex with you and does not necessarily think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread.Maybe *you* should take it slow and see what happens instead of reading too much into something that is so recent...He said he likes you, so I think you can believe that he likes you. "Taking it slow" is not code for "I'm just not into you" in my mind. I take it more as "I really like you and want to take time getting to know you and doing this right so hopefully I can not screw things up and we can have a really amazing possible future together." It sounds like he's not equating "taking things slow" with sex, but more with the emotional aspect of things.

Taking it slow" means you're not in a Committed Relationship. I'm not suggesting that he's seeing, or thinking of seeing, anyone else, but that he's not ready to commit to being exclusive with a capital E, saying "I love you," moving in together, declaring "In A Relationship" on FB, etc. Sounds like you're in the honeymoon period, and it's all super awesome. Enjoy it, don't analyze it. :)No, it's not fair. Yes, it's old fashioned. In this context, 'taking it slow' means the interest he has in investing emotionally in you as a person, which is to say: not much. He may find you perfectly amiable but this is not a long term thing for him. I'm not at all trying to be rude here by referencing your past AskMes, but it's really important to take some time to not be in a relationship when you've very recently broken up with your HIS ex. My personal advice is [taking it slow is a good idea, so I think we should slow down the physical part."  

Expressing Yourself to Others

Deb