Expressing Yourself to Others/saying those three words

Question
I have been seeing a wonderful man since December. Previously, he was in a six year relationship that ended horribly and left him broken hearted. I feel like he has made lots of progress in terms of being vulnerable. We are exclusive and call each other boyfriend/girlfriend. I've met his friends and after a few months, met his mother.  He is willing to move towards being emotionally open to me, but is still understandably guarded and wants to move slowly in regards to this part of the relationship. I am willing to give him this time and I have fallen in love with him (my first love). I really want to tell him I love him, but I worry that this will cause him to shut down, or that I will be rejected. Any advice?

Answer
u will appear as needy or and clingy to tell a man u love him and he has been upfront in saying let's take it slow and sounds like he is not ready to commit.If you find yourself venturing into a relationship with someone who is emotionally guarded it is best to practice patience. Come into the relationship with an open heart.

.Anytime someone guards something it is because they want to protect it.  An emotionally guarded person is protecting themselves from getting hurt.

Relationships of depth require vulnerability.  Vulnerability signifies the risk of getting hurt.  The emotionally guarded raise their shields to protect against exposing their vulnerabilities.  They are afraid that by releasing them they will be humiliated.  They are guarding against emotional intimacy.  A relationship cannot be sustained without emotional intimacy.
Intimacy requires feeling your insecurities and the painful emotions they elicit.  All painful emotions are based in fear.  The fear of getting hurt or humiliated can sometimes take control of oneís life.

If you find yourself venturing into a relationship with someone who is emotionally guarded it is best to practice patience.  Come into the relationship with an open heart.  You should also let them know that they are safe with you, through your words and actions.  Like the turtle that retreats in his shell until he knows it is safe to come out; the emotionally guarded will emerge once they feel they will not be harmed. While patience is a virtue and should be practiced in any relationship, itís important to take care of yourself at all times.  If you find that you are giving more than you are getting, then it may be time to move on to someone who is more emotionally available.  It has been my experience that the reward of emotional intimacy far outweighs the risk of getting hurt.  

Expressing Yourself to Others

Deb