Expressing Yourself to Others/Question

QUESTION: hi I am 45 and my sister is 32. we were extremely close when we were younger and thenshe married a not so nice man and moved away. Somehow she no longer wanted to hear constructive criticism or suggestions as a sister.  We would always be able to share if we didn't look good in certain clothes or if we thought the other was making a poor decision. It was okay if we didn't listen to each other but we always had suggestions. since divorcing that man we started to talk but it has went south again. She says she don't like how I talk to her sometimes. She does not accept anything anyone says that goes against what she wants to do...Friends or family...she stops talking to them if they say something she doesn't like to hear. I have tried not saying anything but somehow something that comes out of my mouth offends her at some point and I never can do anything right I feel. I am ready to stop speaking to her for the rest of my life but I don't want to. I want to be close with her. Are there some questions we can ask each other or some kind of suggestion you have that we can use to help clear this up? Neither one of us can afford counseling. I do not want to live with not being able to suggest things or to watch her make mistakes and not say a word.  I don't expet her follow my suggestions. I understand she may have to make her own mistakes I don't think I should have to sit back and never say a word. I have been a teacher for 19 years....I have my masters degree in elementary education and two lack to classes to be a school counselor... I know I am NOT saying anything in a vindictive or malicious way. But somehow she always takes it that way. I only bring up my education and experience so you know I I'm aware of what I'm saying and how I'm saying it...can you help? Thank you!! Tam

ANSWER: boudaries,pray for her. Also if we do not allow our friends to make their own mistakes they will ... your friends all the time about life situations but never impose your opinion. Always provide advice but never over do it, Listen, let them make their own decisions,Why you should let your friends make their own mistakes….

QUESTION: I realize that and absolutely am not pushy or arrogant in any way! I absolutely let her make her own mistakes. You can ask anyone that stands around when I give advice or tell of my experiences or thoughts. I never do it in a way that I expect them to do it but rather appreciate my advice. Everyone else does but her...that's why I need advice

Why Won’t They Listen To Reason?
Can't, Won't, Shouldn't: Three opposite interpretations that leave us guessing. We’ve all been there, talking to a wall, someone who no matter how hard we try, no matter what angle we take, dismisses or simply ignores what we’re saying. It’s hugely frustrating and puts us in a bind worth dissecting.  There are three broad interpretations for such impenetrability:

They can’t understand:  They’re not trying to give you a hard time. They just haven’t got the toolkit. They’re not stonewalling, they’re just tone deaf in your communications register.  Yes you’re talking to a wall, but not one they’ve built to keep you out.  They can’t help it. It’s not in their temperament, education or vocabulary to understand what you’re saying. When they say “You’re not making any sense,” it’s true though not about you but them. You’d make sense to someone who had the range to understand you.
   They don’t want to understand:  Oh, they could understand you all right, if they wanted. They just won’t for their selfish, indulgent personal reasons. You’re feeding them inconvenient information, information that disappoints them, takes them down a peg, irritates them.  When they say, “You’re getting on my nerves” they may be pointing a finger at you, but it’s really about their nerves. They like them soothed and the truths you’re sharing aren’t having that effect. Maybe they’re lazy, maybe they like driving you crazy with their inattentiveness, maybe they are low-budget smart-asses, people who indulge in a know-it-all sense of authority on the cheap, knowing all while thinking very little. There are lots of them around these days, Hannity wannabes for example, people who like dressing themselves up as thought leaders without thinking.     They shouldn’t understand:  They could understand, and would if it were worth it, but though you think they should, they shouldn’t. What you’re saying is actually irrelevant, lower priority than you think it is, or not important to them given their perfectly honorable priorities, different from yours.  

The bind is that each of these interpretations point to a different response from you.

If they can’t understand, stop pushing them. Don’t corner the congenitally blind and force them to see. Accommodate them. Forgive them for they know not what they’re missing.

But if they don’t want to understand, push them harder. Corner them. Win the war of attrition against their lazy self-indulgence.  They owe you receptivity and they’re not paying up. Send in the collection agents and make them pay.

And if they shouldn’t listen, cut ties. Don’t accommodate and don’t push, just let them go their separate way, you focusing on what’s important to you; them focusing on what’s important to them, at least to the extent possible. The bind may be as frustrating as the inattentiveness, not knowing whether to shit or go blind, throw a fit or turn away.

Especially that middle interpretation, the lazy indulgent one.  How can you forgive or walk away from people who are just being jerks?  In a free society we all can claim whatever authority they want. There’s no license or certification they have to earn in order to speak with self-congratulatory self-certainty.  They can just form any old opinion they want by whatever means and claim to have the final word. They may not be able to get away with it in certain fields where there are concrete consequences for having wrong opinions, but in politics, philosophy, religion, ethics, strategy, forecasting, therapy and a bunch of other big-picture soft-consequence fields, they can get away with claiming any authority.

It’s all low-traction guesswork, in which they can always find a reason they might be right.  The simpler their opinion the more confidently they can express it, even if it means simplify locally and complicating globally.  They can say there’s some one-trick-solves-all ideological solution to all the world’s problems, and then just ignore all the places where the solution doesn’t work. Talk bold talk; don’t bother to walk it, authority on the cheap, available to any of us and exploited by a lot of us. If you’re dealing with people who do that, it just doesn’t feel right to forgive them, or walk away.

And then there are those you can’t walk away from, the inescapable incorrigible boors. Yes it’s nice to forgive, accommodate, tolerate, live and let live, but when you’re forced by circumstances to collaborate with these people you can’t just give them space or tolerate their un-receptivity. They’ll just take the wheel and steer you both off a cliff ignoring your warnings the whole way down.  In a democracy we get the consequences we deserve, but not all of us deserve them.  

Expressing Yourself to Others

communicating,relationships of any kind. One of the hardest things to do when you're communicating with someone is expressing yourself.Fret not I am here to give advice or and ask any questions, some people have a fear of expressing themselves at all. They're afraid to say something that might cost them a friendship. Or they bottle everything up tight and seize up at the mere thought of sharing their true emotions.Tips/advice/ 1.If you have a fear of people, people will avoid you. It's a vicious cycle. You avoid people because you fear that they will hurt you. People see your aloofness, and either think the worst (that you're stuck up), or grant your desire and leave you alone. Then you wonder why it is that no one likes you. 2.When you can't open up to people, people will feel that you are unapproachable. You'll have a hard time getting close to people when you bottle everything up inside. Your relationships will all be shallow. 3.Your inability to express yourself will haunt you in times of trouble. You'll need help, you'll want help, but you won't seek it. You'll hide. So, no one helps you. Then you grow resentful and angry. 4.Another danger is that of isolation. You build walls around your emotions and people instinctively leave you alone. That might be what you wanted at first, but your life will be barren, and empty. Life is relationships. The stronger your relationships the more joy you'll have in life. No matter if it is with your mate, God, children, neighbors, co-workers, friends, relatives, or even yourself, you must learn to express yourself.How to Express Yourself More Clearly and Completely Social anxiety,shyness,low self esteem/confidence,motivation,encouragement ,how to overcome fear,how to express self;how to observe people in conversation carefully,

Masters Degree in Counselling Psychology; Words have meaning to us. Subtle differences in each word will convey a slightly different idea. Huge and gigantic have subtle differences,our actions[body language/ Words have the power to give life and death...especially in relationships. So it is important that you learn to express yourself. You must learn to convey your thoughts, ideas, dreams, ambitions, hopes and emotions to those that you share a relationship with. Your inability to do so, will damage your relationships.For years I have enjoyed helping people when it comes to any kind of communication

Masters Degree in Counselling Psychology

Friendship Church,Charlotte Senior Citizen Center,McCorey YMCA