Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/perioral dermatitis

stallion wrote at 2010-02-27 03:47:11
This answer is incorrect! Look up perioral dermatitis online -- it is commonly known that steroids/hydrocortisone cream not only exacerbate this condition, but may cause it.

Additionally, most topical antibiotic ointments contain petrolatum, which may or may not cause problems with PD.

heckins1 wrote at 2013-02-04 06:08:55
Hi.  I have had Perioral Dermatitis off and on for years now, and I can tell you that steroid creams are the worst thing that you can put on it.  Some Perioral Dermatitis is actually caused by using cortisone creams, and it will definitely make it worse.  Your doctor will prescribe you oral antibiotics, and also a topical antibiotic to take for upwards of a month or so.  Good luck, but if you do any research whatsoever on this subject, you will see that using Cortisone Cream is the WORST possible thing to do.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Charles Cusumano, PA-C, DFAAPA