Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Is Enterococcus vaginal infection sexually transmitted?

Question
Dear Dr. Cipriano,

I think I have a straight forward question here.

Two weeks ago I did a smear test and swaps and it was all clear a part from this Enterococcus Species that were present in my vagina. I had a 10 days course of antibiotic CITERAL and my dischrge has stopped and I am feeling much better now.

I have a partner and I just wanted to know if this is sexually transmittive and does he need to take antibiotics before we have secual intercourse again?

Thank you very much in advance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Julia

Answer
Dear Julia,

Enterococcus is a bacteria that lives in only one place, the colon. If you are having anal intercourse or anal stimulation, the penis or fingers need to be washed with soap and water before entering the vagina. Therefore, it is not sexually transmitted like syphilis or venereal disease, but it is associated with either sexual acts or improper hygiene.

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN