Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/EMLA cream

Question
My younger foster brother is terrified of needles due to severe abuse he endured over the first 17 years of his life. Next week is his yearly physical and he is going to need 2 shots and bloodwork. I have a friend who is a nurse in the UK and mentioned a cream known as EMLA cream that they use on children when taking blood, my brother is almost 19 so not a child but I was wondering if it is safe to use this on him so it will take away a bit of the fear for him if possible. I wasn't sure if there would be any complications or not. Thank you for your time.

Answer
EMLA will help, but a lot will be the anxiety of the situation.... it is not unreasonable to ask for that but definitely ask in advance so they are "ready for him" with the EMLA.... but there will still be anxiety..... good luck with this....

EMLA is very safe, no problems, but prepping him and getting him mentally ready is as important as the EMLA.....

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Robert Borucki