Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/HIV? Just wondering

I am a 55 yr old male and was wondering about hiv. I received unprotected oral sex from a girl way back in the 80'S and never got tested. I had physicals and surgeries when pre-op testing was done. My question is could i be living with hiv for the last 25 years, and why is it that u have to ask for a hiv test during a physical, i feel it should be done as part of the regular urine or blood work, so many people like me are afraid to ask for the test. How long can u last if infected. Thank you

High risk exposure (multiple sex partners, risky sexual encounters, male-on-male intercourse, IV drug use, ...) would place you at increased risk from not only HIV but also Hepatitis B and C.  There are other sexually transmitted diseases as well... HSV, HPV, Chlamydia, and others.

On the topic of HIV.... remote exposures can cause active disease (HIV+,  AIDS).  However, it is recommended that after a questionable exposure you should have an immediate HIV test, then at 6-months and again at one year.  If after a year no HIV virus titers or antibodies are detected than you are in the clear from THAT exposure.

20 to 30 years ago outlook was dim for those with HIV... as they tended to rapidly progress to AIDS.  Today with the cocktails of anti-HIV meds (Protease inhibitors, etc) live expectancy is increases and more importantly quality of life is increases (we see a decrease in morbidity and mortality) yet incidence worldwide of HIV infection is still on the rise.

While NOT on the usual panel of annual tests for a physical for low risk individuals, I usually recommend testing on HIGH risk individuals or those with symptoms that may be indicative of an HIV infection.

CDC information is available at:

And you may find this link helpful (new recommendations for testing):  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Yusuf (JP) Saleeby, MD

Will ONLY answer questions pertaining to Hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's disease and thyroid disorders. I will forward all other questions to the question pool. This forum does not allow for the diagnosis and treatment of illness, so please don't ask questions in that regard.

Medical School: Medical College of Georgia (Augusta, GA class of 1991) Post Graduate Training: ECU school of Medicine (Greenville, NC) 20 years in Emergency Medicine, Urgent Care and Occupational Medicine (retired 2012). *** Licensed in states of GA, NC, SC and VA. *** Medical Director of Priority Health of SC ( *** Former Medical Director and Founder of the Saleeby Longevity Institute a clinical practice and research center in integrative (CAM,Allopathic Medicine (1999 to 2004). *** Founder of Vita Sanus, Inc. Manufacturer & Distributer of Vita Sanus Nutraceuticals and Skin Care products ( Sold in 2006. *** Adjunct Professor in Graduate School of Nursing Georgia Southern University (2002-2006). *** Author of "Wonder Herbs: A Guide to Three Adaptogens" available for sale at or signed copies at *** Former Medical Director of the Emergency Department at Marlboro Park Hospital, Bennettsville, SC (2006-2010) *** Appointed to Medical Advisory Board for Aerobic & Fitness Association of America (AFAA) 2007-present & Contributing Editor AFAA (American Fitness magazine) 2013-present. *** Appointed to Medical Advisory Board for Beach Body (Product Partners) 2008-present *** Founder and regional director of an alternative to high priced lab testing sites (DAT). *** Life Extension 5th Edition Book on Prevention and Disease Treatment (contributor on Chapter on Adrenal Fatigue and Stress Management) 2013 5th edition. *** Worked as chief formulator for supplement companies: Vita Sanus Nutraceuticals (Longevity Pack & entire line), SSN's PreGame Formulas for Golf and Tennis, AdapTx Labs' CardioFactor & PreFight, BeachBody's Shakeology consultant, Parhelion Labs' Oviun BioPharma sub-fertility formula ''Fertility Regimen''.

South Carolina Urban Search & Rescue Task Force-1 (USAR), former Medical Director/Control. 2010-2012. Founder and developer of Current medical practice: Former member of American Telemedicine Association Former member of A4M and ACAM. Attend regular meetings of AMMG Member in good standing ILADS (

American Fitness magazine (multiple) Cortlandt Forum Medical Economics (blog) JIVE magazine (out of print) Tea Digest Experience (out of print) Authored Books on Adaptogen Herbs (Wonder Herbs: A guide to three adaptogens) 2006 Authored chapter on Stress Management for LEF text book on Prevention of Diseases and Treatments (2013) Authored Chapter 3 in "Stop the Thyroid Madness, II" (2014)

Health & Wellness Blogger, Medical Writer. Author of book on Adaptogens. Pioneer in Telehealth, member of ATA. Contributing Editor for American Fitness magazine. Authored Books on Adaptogen Herbs (Wonder Herbs: A guide to three adaptogens) 2006 Authored chapter on Stress Management for Life Extension Foundation LEF text book on Prevention of Diseases and Treatments (2013) Authored Chapter 3 in "Stop the Thyroid Madness, II" (2014)

*** co-Author of "Stop the Thyroid Madness, II" (Laughing Grape, 2014) Chapter on NDT/Thyroid. *** Authored chapter in "Life Extension Foundation, 5th Edition book on Prevention and Disease Treatment" Chapter on Stress Management/ Adrenal Fatigue.

HIPAA prohibits revealing names. Some celebrity clients.