Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Blood Clots

Question
Dear Dr. Borucki,

I sit a lot on my job and it has recently come to my attention that I'm at a higher risk of developing a blood clot in my leg because of this, granted I exercise daily. But exercising is only 1 hour and the majority of time I am sitting throughout my day.

I have a few questions.

1- Would it be obvious if I had a clot in my leg (puffy, warm etc)?

2- Are some people MORE LIKELY to develop clots based on genetics, smoking factor, etc?  In other words if two people sat on a long flight, say 14 hours, are those 2 people equally likely to develop a clot?

3- If one has a clot what is the likelihood it will burst and generally speaking how long after it has formed will it burst?

4- If one has a clot in his/her leg, are they stuck with it for life or do some clots work their way out of the veins peacefully?

Thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions.  I'm nervous and this is new to me.

Happy new year,
James

Answer
1- Would it be obvious if I had a clot in my leg (puffy, warm etc)?  typically it gets red and painful

2- Are some people MORE LIKELY to develop clots based on genetics, smoking factor, etc?  In other words if two people sat on a long flight, say 14 hours, are those 2 people equally likely to develop a clot?  There are risk factors that make it more likely.... previous clots, problems that make someone more likely to clot, like pregnancy, hormones, smoking, inactivity, obesity

3- If one has a clot what is the likelihood it will burst and generally speaking how long after it has formed will it burst?  They don't burst, they travel and get stuck in the lung.... it depends on the location and size.

The body has a way of boring it open again and resolving it if it doesn't get too large or travel to the lungs.

Simply getting up and taking a few steps every hour would lessen your chances.

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Robert Borucki