Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/pain medications

Question
Hi, I have a 6 month old baby boy and he will be getting his 6 month shots this Friday. At his 4 month shots he was in soooo much pain, and we were told to give him Tylenol every 4 hours. Well he would throw it up sometimes, and then other times he would keep it down. Well he is starting to teeth so I started giving him Tylenol for the pain and gum inflamation, but he will NOT keep it down at all now. I've tried just giving it to him in the syringe very slowly, throws it up. I've tried putting it in his formula, throws it all up. I even tried the little melt away tablets, threw up as soon as it touched his tongue. Ive given it to him when he's full, I've given it to him when his tummy is empty, and I've given it to him in between empty and full. Nothing works! I've also tried Motrin and Ibuprofen as well, same thing. At his 4 month shots he was in a lot of pain and he got a fever from it so I am not looking forward to this Friday for his 6 month shots if I can't give him any pain meds. And it would be nice to give him something for his teething. I don't know what to do! Is there a different pain reliever that pediatricians can prescribe if the baby is allergic or wont keep the Tylenol down? Something without Aceteminophen? Could that be what he is allergic to? I know there are people out there that do not believe we should give our babies drugs, but I don't agree with them. Thanks for your time!

Answer
acetominphen is tylenol.  Motrin is ibuprofen is advil.

I don't know if it is an allergy as much as an aversion, since vomiting when it touches his tongue may imply sensitivity towards nasty tasting drugs.  There are high dose formulas where you have to give only a tiny amount...... the 160/tsp.   There aren't any other pain management options at that age..... talk it over with your doctor.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Robert Borucki